Friday 3 January 2014

Bunting Cushion

Yesterday I spent way more hours than was really needed making this bunting cushion to match some pillowcases I made last week.

First of all I spent a very long time looking for SVG (files that I can use with my scan'n'cut) files of birds. Then I found a picture file I liked and spent a very long time trying to convert it to SVG. When I finally managed to get it into a format that would work I spent a very long time trying to get it to cut from fabric without much luck. So then I decided to just try triangles to make bunting. This was mostly fine on the machine,  I just have to take the time to properly stick everything down to the mat and not put the shapes too close together. When you get it right, its amazing- simple, fast and essentially perfect.

So here are some instructions to make your own cushion cover!

You will need:

  • A cushion to cover.
  • A long rectangle of main fabric (as wide as your cushion + allowance for seems, I usually do 1/4 inch because I have a foot for it on my machine, it should be long enough to wrap all the way around your cushion and have about 10-20 cm overlap)
  • Decent sized scraps or off-cuts of other fabrics
  • Fusible interfacing (optional if not using a cutting machine)
  • scissors/cotton/sewing machine/over locker (if you have it)
  • Scan'n'cut or other cutting machine (again- if you have one)
Instructions:
  1. measure and cut you main cushion fabric. I was lazy and didn't pre-wash my fabric (or pre-iron) or use a ruler...I just eyeballed it. I don't recommend that as my cushion cover is less than perfect because the calico I used shank when ironed and I forgot to leave seam allowances on the sides!

  2. Fold and gently press your fabric so that you will be able to place your bunting pieces accurately on the front.
  3. Cut interfacing to a size slightly smaller than your scraps and iron on according to manufacturers instructions. Remove backing (this provides extra grip on the cutting mat). If you aren't using a cutting machine you don't have to use interfacing, but it will make the placement and sewing of your pieces easier. 


  4. Choose a slightly long triangle shape and set the machine to cut. This took quite a bit of practice for me, but I now have a much better idea of how much I need to spread out the shapes and how far from the edges they need to be. I cut out 17 all together, because then I couldn't be bothered doing any more. 
  5. Arrange your pieces on your cushion front and iron down (and freak out slightly when your fabric unexpectedly shrinks!).
  6. Using a fairly small zig-zag stitch, sew around your shapes. I went across the top in one long line first to make them look connected, but it also looks cute with them just 'floating'.
  7. Over-lock and/or hem the short edges so no raw seams will be visible. Fold the right sides together and over-lock or sew the side seams. 
  8. Turn out and feel chuffed at your handy work. 



I used the tutorial at A Spoonful of Sugar Designs to make these pillowcases. Really helpful instructions and a forgiving pattern that can easily be adjusted to fit any pillow to your liking. 

6 comments:

  1. Wish I had your patience for sewing! The cushions are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't have much patience lol. That is why I choose projects that are easy and more importantly fast! I want my finished item and I want it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet cushion - love the bunting design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. What a compliment coming from you! I literally love everything on your blog/site. You choose the best colours! I'm hoping to make the heart shaped pot-holder tomorrow :)

      Delete